- Activities: Hiking, wildlife, sight-seeing.
- Start-point: Queenstown, New Zealand.
- End-point: Blenheim, New Zealand.
- Trip duration: 13 days/12 nights.
- Trips available: Year-round. Please note: this trip is only available for private groups of six or more, with departures scheduled on request.
- Price: To be confirmed - contact us for more details.
- Included: 12 nights accommodation including the overnight cruise on Milford Sound; 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 5 dinners; all vehicle travel; steamship travel to/from Walter Peak farm; water-taxis in the Marlborough Sounds (days 11-13), experienced guides throughout; advice and assistance for travel in New Zealand before and after the tour.
- Activity level: As a general guideline trip members should be comfortable hiking 8-10 kms/5-6 miles/2-3 hours each day on trails that are sometimes uneven and uphill/downhill. The guides will help with luggage, but as another general guideline guests should be able to handle their own luggage.
- Group size: 6-16 people.
South Island traverseEnquire now
Find yourself in stunning landscapes from the high mountains & deep lakes of the south to the sheltered inlets & temperate forests of the north.
This 13-day road-trip from Milford Sound to the Marlborough Sounds offers short and long hikes each day in some of New Zealand's most beautiful areas.
Our Walking Aotearoa itinerary has been carefully designed to highlight a range of contrasting South Island landscapes: verdant rain-forest, arid heartland, wild beaches, silent fjords. Along the way you'll get an insight into local life in small towns and remote settlements.
This is a trip for groups of 6 or more. Because you’ll be traveling in your own private group the itinerary can be tailored to suit. Hikes can be extended or shortened and other activities can be added, for example scenic flights, bike-rides, winery visits and free-days. You’ll travel in your own private vehicles with your own driver/guides.
More about the accommodation:
The trip starts in style with steamship travel from the alpine resort-town of Queenstown to dinner at Walter Peak farm. Our accommodation is a 3-star Queenstown hotel.
We’ll sleep one night aboard the ‘Milford Wanderer’ and cruise the length of Milford Sound to the Tasman Sea. (Twin-rooms with shared bathrooms).
For the remainder of the trip we’ll stay two nights each in the small, picturesque towns of Te Anau, Wanaka, Franz Josef and Punakaiki and a lodge in the outer Marlborough Sounds. (2-bedroom/1-bathroom vacation apartments throughout).
... ... ...
Larry Beiber, founder: 'Travels with Larry', Pennsylvania, USA:
"For our trip to New Zealand with 25 people, we used Tamarillo Active Travel. They tailor-made the itinerary, were consistently on time and very responsive to suggestions.
"During the trip itself all the guides were excellent. They kept a firm hand on the logistics and entertained us with their knowledge of the country, the people and their culture, as well as the fauna and flora. They were very sensitive and responsive to needs expressed by individuals in the group.
"In summary, I can say that [Tamarillo Active Travel's founder] Anthony Norris is the most professional trip organizer I've ever worked with and one of the very best guides. It was a pleasure to work and travel with Tamarillo Active Travel."
'Trips for Six'
Discounts for groups
Get a group of six or more together and reduce everyone’s price.
How it works: Instead of the regular per person price, we’ll give you a special per group price.
As the group's coordinator its up to you to decide how to split the 'Trips for Six' price. You might:
- surprise your friends and family by paying for everyone.
- divide the amount equally among all participants.
- get the rest of the group to share the cost so you travel for free.
Who is it for? Extended families, groups of friends, hiking & kayaking clubs, corporate groups, etc.
'Trips for Six' discounts are available only for bookings made directly with
Tamarillo Active Travel. Contact us to learn more.
Photo credits. Main image, Rob Suisted. Right-side top, Gareth Eyres. Right-side bottom and Sea-kayak the South, both by Ian Trafford. Sea-kayak the North, Scott Venning. Southern Frontier, Jocelyn Carlin.