- Activities: Hiking, food, cultural activities.
- Start/end point: Bologna, Italy.
- Trip duration: 10 days/9 nights.
- Trip dates: Private trips for groups can be scheduled at any time of the year. Trips open to everyone are scheduled each May/June and September/October. Places are still available on these upcoming trips:
12-21 June 2019. 15-24 October 2019.
- Regular price: NZ$3680 per person twin-share. For single rooms throughout add NZ$350. Currency converter.
- 'Trips for Six' price: NZ$3250 per person. Learn more.
- Included: 9 nights accommodation (private rooms with en-suite bathrooms); 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners; all vehicle travel; round-trip Elba Island ferry travel, Cinque Terre National Park trail-passes, experienced guides throughout; advice and assistance for travel in Italy before and after the tour.
- Activity level: As a general guideline trip members should be comfortable hiking at least 8-10 kms/5-6 miles/2-3 hours each day on trails that are sometimes uneven and uphill/downhill. The guides will help with luggage wherever possible, but guests should be able to get their own luggage to/from their accommodation, which can sometimes be a walk of up to 5 minutes, including flights of stairs.
- Group size: 6-15 people.
Parma, Cinque Terre, Tuscany & Elba Island
Land of contrastsEnquire now
This ten-day Walk like an Italian journey links five neighboring areas, each with its own unique character and charm.
You'll hike through a variety of beautiful landscapes including:
- the elegant streets, piazzas and palaces in the historic heart of Parma;
- the rugged coastal trails and bustling little towns of Cinque Terre National Park;
- the marble mountains and quiet villages of the little-known Alpi Apuane mountain range;
- the rolling Tuscan hills around the ancient hill-top town of Volterra;
- the relaxed sea-side villages and panoramic mountain trails of Elba Island.
As the countryside changes, so does the cuisine. Each place we visit has its own culinary style based on it's climate and geography. As the food changes so does the wine. Your guides will help you discover the local specialties, and introduce you to favourite wine-bars and eateries along the way. In this way the hikes are complemented by the meals, and the meals are complemented by the wines. It all adds up to a rich, sensory experience of Italy’s landscape and culture.
You'll be surprised how short the distances are between each of these remarkably contrasting locations. The itinerary has been carefully designed to minimize the travel-time while maximizing the experience of Italy’s regional diversity. Each day there are short and long hikes to choose from. While you walk you need only carry a light day-pack.
More about the accommodation:
The first night of the tour is a taste of life in one of Italy’s most beautiful cities, Parma - home to historic buildings, precious art, excellent cuisine and incredibly-stylish citizens. Our accommodation here is a 4-star hotel in Parma's historic city-center.
For nights 2 & 3 the group will be accommodated in vacation apartments scattered throughout Corniglia, the smallest and quietest of Cinque Terre National Park’s famous five villages.
High in the Apuan Alps of north Tuscany lies the village of Pruno (population: 75), our home for nights 4 & 5. Here we’ll stay in vacation apartments, most of them owned by local families currently living elsewhere in Italy.
Our accommodation for nights 6 & 7 is a small, family-run, 3-star hotel in Volterra, a medieval-era town in the heart of Tuscany.
For the last two nights of the tour we’ll stay in another family-run 3-star hotel, this time in the laid-back seaside town of Marciana Marina, Elba Island.
'Trips for Six'
Discounts for groups
Get a group of six or more together and reduce everyone’s price.
How it works: Instead of the regular per person price, we’ll give you a special per group price.
As the group's coordinator its up to you to decide how to split the 'Trips for Six' price. You might:
- surprise your friends and family by paying for everyone.
- divide the amount equally among all participants.
- get the rest of the group to share the cost so you travel for free.
Who is it for? Extended families, groups of friends, hiking & kayaking clubs, corporate groups, etc.
'Trips for Six' discounts are available only for bookings made directly with
Tamarillo Active Travel. Contact us to learn more.