- Activities: Hiking, food, cultural activities.
- Start point: Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.
- End-point: Alghero, Sardinia, Italy.
- Trip duration: 9 days/8 nights.
- Trips available: Year-round. Please note: this trip is only available for private groups of 6 or more, with departures scheduled on request. Because the trip is private it can be tailored in various ways to suit your group. For example, the trip can be shortened to fit your travel plans, or lengthened to take in other parts of Italy.
- Regular price: NZ$3920 per person twin-share. For single rooms throughout add NZ$450. Currency converter.
- 'Trips for Six' price: NZ$3750 per person. Learn more.
- Included: 8 nights accommodation (private rooms with en-suite bathrooms); 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 5 dinners; all vehicle and boat travel necessary; experienced guides throughout; advice and assistance for travel in Italy before and after the tour.
- Activity level: As a general guideline trip members should be comfortable hiking 8-10 kms/5-6 miles/2-3 hours each day on trails that are sometimes uneven and uphill/downhill. The guides will help with luggage, but as another general guideline guests should be able to get their own luggage to/from their accommodation, which can sometimes be a walk of 5-10 minutes.
- Group size: 6-24 people, private groups only.
island spiritEnquire now
Mysterious, mountainous Sardinia: second-largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, yet still one of Italy’s least-known regions.
Our Walk like an Italian Sardinia tour begins in the southern city of Cagliari, with its labyrinth of narrow streets and piazzas. Over nine days we'll make our way north, basing ourselves in two small towns along the way, Baunei and Bitti. The journey ends in Alghero, home to one of the Mediterranean’s best-preserved historic city centers.
Each day there will be short and long guided hikes to choose from through spectacular coastal and mountain areas. Pack your swimwear; Sardinia is home to some of Europe’s most beautiful beaches. The sea is famously emerald-clear and stays warm throughout most of the year.
With a vibrant culture and it's own dialect, Sardinia is distinctly different from mainland Italy. Each town and village has their own unique festivals celebrating religious events and ancient traditions.
The regional cuisine is based around fresh seafood and farm-produce, complemented by the island's excellent wines. Our Italian guides will help you source the best in local flavours at markets, eateries and wine-bars along the way.
Hikers will see traces of history everywhere. Numerous signs of the bronze-age Nuraghic culture are scattered across the landscape, as well as remains of the Roman empire and other groups that dominated at different times during Sardinia’s turbulent history.
More about the accommodation:
Our accommodation for the first night of the tour is a 4-star hotel in the heart of Cagliari. A 2-hour walking-tour focused on the city’s rich history leads to dinner at a local restaurant.
Our base for nights 2, 3 and 4 is a 3-star hotel in Baunei. This is the southern gateway to the Supramonte region, a vast area of wilderness, canyons and undeveloped coast. Our hikes each end at beautiful beaches with no road-access. Local boats transfer us back along the coast to Baunei.
For nights 5, 6 and 7 we're in a 4-star family-run hotel in Bitti, deep in the heart of Barbagia. This is one of Europe’s most sparsely-populated regions; an area of high plains, deep valleys, timeless villages and remote sheep-farms.
The final night's accommodation is a 4-star hotel in Alghero, a beautiful old port-town with a noticeably Spanish influence, a legacy from it’s period as a Catalan colony.
'Trips for Six'
Discounts for groups
Get a group of six or more together and reduce everyone’s price.
How it works: Instead of the regular per person price, we’ll give you a special per group price.
As the group's coordinator its up to you to decide how to split the 'Trips for Six' price. You might:
- surprise your friends and family by paying for everyone.
- divide the amount equally among all participants.
- get the rest of the group to share the cost so you travel for free.
Who is it for? Extended families, groups of friends, hiking & kayaking clubs, corporate groups, etc.
'Trips for Six' discounts are available only for bookings made directly with
Tamarillo Active Travel. Contact us to learn more.
Land of contrasts
Parma, Cinque Terre, Tuscany & Elba Island
Amalfi, Cilento, Matera & Capri
Sea-kayaking & hiking
The Italian Riviera, Tuscany & Elba Island
Fully supported / virtually guided
Rome to Tuscany, special focus
Tuscany to Venice, special focus
Adventure & Ancient Medicine